13 Apr Dear Emerald
You Are 25 And So What?
You worry that you are past 25 and nothing seems to be working; no job or steady relationship talk more of marriage.
(I wonder who made 25 the statutory age for human achievement)
I remember my 25th birthday. I was going through an emotional tornado that could take the whole of USA, I was preparing for two important exams within the week, and I was also worried because the plan I drew for myself wasn’t working. In fact, none of it had worked. The only thing I had going for me were lots of sad poems I wrote daily in my diary. I needed no inspiration for those.
Can you count the number of I’s I’ve used so far? That is because all my plans were about me. What I wanted, what I planned just me, myself, and I. Though a part of me prayed God into the equation I however wanted things to happen on my terms and at my own time.
In August that year, I attended a conference that gave me a new perspective to life. I learnt once again the importance of letting God take the lead. This doesn’t mean abdicating my responsibility to make decisions, but I realised that there is an unseen arm who leads us and guides us to our place of destiny.
Emerald, I suggest you follow these simple steps and let your life be aligned the way you desire it.
1. Commit your plans to God (Prov 16:3) and you’ll be sure to succeed in all you do.
2. Write a note to yourself about the kind of life you want to live.
3. Write down the million thoughts that come through your mind as you do, it crystalizes and becomes more organised.
4. Set up a SMART and workable plan to achieve your goals.
5. Make yourself accountable to someone who will always remind you of your dreams.
6. Always believe that impossibility is nothing ……. If you fail, then try again and again and again.
Remember, persistence wearies out resistance.
You must realize that a man’s worth is not measured by the abundance of possessions acquired but by the magnitude of the impact made in the lives of people.
Finally, I leave with one of my favourite scriptures; “This is what the Lord says- your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: I am you the Lord your God who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go”.